This post is also available in: French
Site Visits were offered on Tuesday November 12, 2013 during the day prior to the Opening Ceremony.
1. Salam Health Center is located in the Gulele sub city in Addis Ababa and serves a catchment population of 13,083. The health center has 88 staff, among which 37 are clinical staff. The health center provides Antenatal Care, PMTCT, Delivery, PNC, Immunization, Family Planning (FP) and Comprehensive Abortion Care (CAC) Service. In terms of Family planning, the health center provides both short and long acting family planning methods including IUCD.
Selam Health Center is known for its progressively improving family planning service particularly long acting (LA) FP. This is mainly because the staff and management introduced a mechanism through which they regularly identified problems and took action to improve the service delivery in the facility. Some of the measures taken through this process were: orientation for facility staff and Health Extension Workers on LA FP and referral, training new staff on infection prevention, creating friendly facilities for people with special needs (e.g., the disabled), weekly and monthly staff meeting to assess the progress and quality of service provision and regular staff rotation to prevent bun out. The health center has also introduced FP service integration with other services including CAC for post abortion FP.
The health center has an increasing trend in LAFP methods and PAFP services. The average total visit time including round trip takes three hours.
2. St. Paul’s Hospital is a referral and teaching hospital located in the Gulele sub city in Addis Ababa. The hospital provides a range of inpatient and outpatient care. In terms of reproductive health, the hospital provides comprehensive service including obstetric and gynecological care, Family Planning, Comprehensive Abortion Care (CAC), Cervical Cancer Screening and Treatment. The Family Planning service includes all ranges of contraceptive methods including permanent FP and post-partum IUCD. It also provides pre-service and in-service trainings to various medical and nursing, midwifery and other professionals. The average total visit time including round trip takes three hours.
3. Kirkos MSIE Clinic is an INGO clinic established in 1994 with an annual budget of 3 million ETB. It is located in Addis Ababa in the Kirkos subcity. It has a staff of 14 (clinical and support staffs). The center provides integrated services such as family planning included permanent family planning methods, comprehensive abortion care, HIV testing, cervical cancer screening, STI screening and antenatal care. Monthly around 700 clients are served at the center, most of whom seek comprehensive abortion care and family planning. The average total visit time including round trip takes three hours.
4. Family Guidance Association of Ethiopia is a civil society owned clinic in Addis Ababa in the Addis Ketema sub city. The clinic was established in November 2011. It has 7 staff, of which 3 are clinical staff. The objective of the clinic is to increase access to integrated youth-friendly STI/HIV and quality FP services to MARPS to prevent and control HIV/AIDs transmission.
The clinic specifically targets commercial sex workers and their non-paying clients with total beneficiaries 3,500 women in the 15-35 age group in the catchment area.
The clinic has been successful in providing services with a focus on facility and community-based counseling and FP method provision as well as STI/HIV screening, treatment and prevention services through training health care providers, providing supportive supervision and monitoring and evaluation support. The average total visit time including round trip takes three hours.
6. Sululta Health Center is a public facility located 25 km North West of Addis Ababa in the Oromia Region. The health center provides services by 29 health care providers to men and women of reproductive age and focuses on capacity building of health care providers through on-the-job training on SRH/FP including comprehensive abortion care. The center provides counseling, health education in facility-based service and mentorship and coaching for providers doing outreach service to strengthen the referral linkage between the health center providers and the health extension workers.
The health center has been successful in capacity building of the health care providers to provide a wide range of FP services, particularly in long acting and permanent method. Kasaweserbi Health Post is part of a primary health care unit under Sululta Health Center, and it will part of the visit to the center. The average total visit time including round trip takes four hours.
7. Galaxy Medium Clinic is a private clinic which was established in 2011. The clinic is located in Addis Ababa and provides family planning services to up to 200 men and women of reproductive age per month. The average total visit time including round trip is three hours.
8. Zak Higher Clinic is a private clinic located in the Addis Ketema sub city in Addis Ababa. The clinic provides wide method mix of family planning services up to 80 men and women of reproductive age per month. The average total visit time including round trip is three hours.
10. Burayu Health Center was established in 2001 and provides services to catchment population on the west side of Addis Ababa. The health center has a total of 17 clinical staff who provide health education and social mobilization and provide family planning counseling and service provision to the eligible population. The health center focuses in reducing maternal mortality and morbidity and uses FP service as one method to this goal. Aledima Health Post is part of the primary health care unit under Burayu Health Center, and it will part of the visit to the center. The average total visit time including round trip takes three and half hours.
11. Addis Ababa Women’s Association was established in 1998 in the Kirkos sub city of Addis Ababa. The organization has 29 clinical staff to provide FP services to 32,000 beneficiaries. The association is engaged in community mobilization and provision of services for eligible men and women of reproductive age with special attention to urban poor women, youth and adolescents in holistic sexual and reproductive health services through fostering partnership with civic societies and organizations.